How to Make Nathan Fillion's "Dime-In" Ringput a ring on it
Step-by-step instructions for making a cute (and President's Day-appropriate) ring.
In honor of both Valentine's Day and President's Day (hooray, three-day weekend!), we're pulling out an oldie but goodie from Nathan Fillion's WhoSay archives. The "Castle" actor gave us a nifty step-by-step tutorial on how to make a ring out of nothing more than a simple dollar bill and a dime. Who needs expensive jewelry on Valentine's Day when you can make a pretty darn cool-looking ring in a matter of seconds...right? Don't quote us on that, though.
Here's how you do it:
1. "First, fold it in half, lengthwise."
2. "Using the fold as a center line, bring the long edges in. Crisp folds are important."
3. "Fold the top back, away from you."
4. "Along the top fold, bring the corners down to the middle like a paper airplane."
5. "Here's the tricky part. Unfold the corners, and using the same creases, push the points INSIDE."
6. "Pointing up, take the top layer to the bottom points of the triangle at the top."
7. "Working with that same top layer, bring the sides into the middle. (see the little collar you made at the top?)
8. "Turn it over and do the same thing to the long side, allowing it to taper slightly at the open end."
9. "Pinch the tip (no jokes) and fold the ends down."
10. "Now, pull the ends gently (still, no jokes) and flatten the bottom of the little box you've made (insert joke here)."
11. "Thread the long end into the short end under the box, insert dime. That's a dime-in ring."
And there you have it. Thanks, Nathan!
More on WhoSay:
- Judge Reinhold Shares the Original "Fast Times" Script
- 15 Awkwardly Romantic Valentine's Day Cards