5 Facts About Beyoncé's New AlbumBey's Visual Album
Beyoncé announced (and launched) her new self-titled album on Friday using just her social media channels.
Beyonce Knowles, the multiple Grammy Award-winning performer of "Single Ladies" and "Halo," announced Friday on her Facebook page the immediate release of her new self-titled "visual" album, creating a social media frenzy as well as impressive instantaneous sales. Here are five facts about Queen Bey's new album:
1. It Will Debut at No. 1 on Billboard: With no pre-release announcement or promotion, "Beyoncé," dubbed a visual album, "is all but guaranteed" a No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 chart this week thanks to sales of over 550,000 copies by Saturday night.
2. It Broke Promotional New Ground: Beyonce rejected traditional promotional tactics, such as early singles and media apprearances, for a simple social post where the star told her millions of followers, "Surprise!" along with the news of the new album and a link to the iTunes store.
3. It's the Top-Selling Female Debut of 2013: The visual album became the year's top-selling female debut only 27 hours after its surprise launch, and without any pre-release promotion.
4. It Has 14 Songs and 17 Videos: According to Spin, "Beauty pageants, beach serenades, day-glo roller rinks, brick-wall grill displays, rollercoaster rides, riots, weddings, grown psychedelic women" can be seen throughout the 14 tracks and 17 videos contained in the surprise new album.
5. It's Music You Can See: Beyonce explains her successful experiment in a promotional video posted on her Facebook page: "I see music. It's more than just what I hear (...) When I'm connected to something, I immediately see a visual or a series of images that are tied to a feeling or an emotion—a memory from my childhood, thoughts about life, my dreams or my fantasies. And they're all connected to the music."