5 Things You Didn't Know About Genesis RodriguezBy Alex Marin
The 26-year-old Miami-born actress plays Paul Walker’s wife in “Hours,” a suspense/drama about Hurricane Katrina to be released on December 13.
Genesis Rodriguez, known for both her Spanish and English-speaking roles in productions such as Telemundo’s “Doña Bárbara” and HBO’s “Entourage,” is one of the late Paul Walker’s last co-stars. The Venezuelan/American actress plays Abigail, Nolan Hayes’ (Walker) wife, who goes into early labor as Hurricane Katrina makes its deadly landfall in Erik Heisserer’s “Hours.” As a true passion project and one of Paul Walker's last films, the movie has gained a lot public interest this week in the leadup to its December 13 premiere, pushing Genesis into the spotlight.
Here are five more things your probably didn’t know about the star:
1. She Landed the Lead in "Tusk": Rodriguez will star as Allison in Kevin Smith’s upcoming “Tusk,” a 2014 horror film about a couple of podcasters who set out to interview an eccentric character and end up instead involved in a gruesome crime.
2. She Was T.I.'s Partner in Crime: Genesis played Marisol, an assassin who teams up with hitman Julian (T.I.) in “Identity Thief,” a hilarious comedy directed by Seth Gordon (“Horrible Bosses”), produced by Scott Stuber (“Ted”), and starring Jason Bateman (“Horrible Bosses”) and Melissa McCarthy (“Bridesmaids”).
3. She Once Broke Into a Jewelry Vault to Prove a Man's Innocence: Or, at least, her character did; Rodriguez played Angie—a desperate woman determined to prove her boyfriend’s innocence by any means—in “Man on a Ledge,” the 2013 film where she worked alongside Sam Worthington (“Avatar”), Elizabeth Banks (“The Hunger Games”) and Ed Harris (“A Beautiful Mind”).
4. She Helped Will Ferrell Speak Spanish for a Whole Movie: The awesomeness of Genesis Rodriguez’s prolific (and versatile) career was demonstrated in 2012 when the actress, who’s a consummate soap opera actress both in English and Spanish, co-starred in Matt Piedmont’s “Casa de mi Padre” alongside Will Ferrell, Gabriel García Bernal, and Diego Luna. The comedy film, a tongue-in-cheek parody of the genre (totally shot in Spanish), tells the story of Armando Álvarez (Ferrell) who falls for Sonia Lopez (Rodriguez) as he tries to save his father’s ranch from a powerful and lethal drug lord.
5. She Co-Starred With Arnold Schwarzenegger (and Cameron Diaz): Other roles played by Genesis Rodriguez include FBI agent Ellen Richard in Kim Jee-woon’s “The Last Stand” (along with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Johnny Knoxville) and Courtney in the 2012 comedy-drama “What to Expect When You’re Expecting,” where she shared the screen with the likes of Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, and Chris Rock.
Want to know five more things about Genesis? Check out her WhoSay bio page.